220 – Employee Assistance Program
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines and procedures for employees to follow to assist in the use of the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offered through CIGNA insurance or insurance provider with personal concerns that may affect work performance. The EAP is available to all employees and dependents for confidential consultation on such issues as:
• Alcohol or drug abuse
• Marital or relationship difficulties
• Spouse or child abuse
• Mental health disorders
• Grief, trauma, loss
• Family difficulties: parenting, step-parenting, elder care
• Financial problems or credit card abuse, etc.
• Other personal concerns
• Work-related trauma or performance problems
A. Self-Referral: [CALEA Standards 22.1.7 a – d]
The EAP helps employees and their families identify problems and refers the employee or qualified family member to qualified professionals for assistance at no charge.
Professional services are often covered by the employee’s insurance. The EAP directs an employee to professional, confidential help that is designed not to jeopardize the employee’s job with the county or licensure with TCOLE.
An employee requesting confidential assistance shall call the EAP hotline.
B. Administrative Referral/Administrative Leave or Duty Status: [CALEA Standards 22.1.2 a & 22.1.7 b – e]
1. The EAP provides supervisors with a venue to administratively refer an employee to get assistance in a confidential manner. An administrative referral is a personnel order where the HCSO directs an employee to seek help for a problem that is interfering with the employee’s work performance.
The administrative referral must be approved by the bureau commander or their designee and coordinated through the Human Engagement and Resources Division (H.E.A.R.D) Director.
2. Immediately following an employee’s involvement in a critical incident, the bureau commander may assign the employee to administrative leave or administrative duty status. [CALEA Standard 22.1.2 a] [Department Policy 418-Behavioral Health Division Section II. B]
C. Additional Information: [CALEA Standards 22.1.7 b – d]
For more information about the EAP contract company and the referral process, employees and supervisors may contact (H.E.A.R.D).
This policy has been revised on the below listed dates:
April 21, 2009
May 1, 2018
August 27, 2021